Sunday, February 22, 2009

My 2009 Goals!

I have a goal.
To become an animator.
What type of animator?
Any type of animator.
Freelance animator.
In studio animator.
Any type of animator.
Games, movies, cartoons, tv...

My 2009 graduating showreel!
To come up with an idea for a showreel is hard enough, to put together a showreel that'll allow me to sniff at a job opportunity is like winning lotto. But neverless, here's my idea!
Boy, it's hard to think of decent ideas when you've got none. Anyway here's what I was thinking. To only come out basic and have the required animation steps shown. Example, a character is performing essential techniques one after the other with a scrolling background to no story as such.
Or like I should go towards, a cliche story where I can get a hero guy to act for me in a simple little story with a fast plot and fast ending. A hero fighting bad guys to save the maiden. If done right, it could be quite amusing.
I am looking forward to the outcome as are you. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Frank said...

Hi Tiffany

Thanks for showing me your storyboard thumbnails for your narrative idea.

It does match your initial idea with a showreel focus.

You cover the requirement for Essential Animation Principles (EAPs); running, walking, pushing, character interaction reacting to sound.

The story is a tried and tested successful formula of a hero overcoming an obstacle to rescue the maiden.

You have started with a lot of cliches. That is a good place to start as we can look at ways of twisting the cliches to make things more interesting.

In your story we have looked at using an establishing shot to help explain why the hero enters the castle, what is motivating the hero.

We talked a bit about the effort of opening the door and possibly finding a simple resolution (such as a 'pull' sign on the door) that creates a moment of contrast in resolving that obstacle (the door).

We talked a bit about some acting as the hero approaches the beam of light. It would be a good shot to communicate thinking.

I was thinking a bit more on the cliches;
Does the hero have to be a male?
Does the princess have to be a princess? Could it be a rabbit?
Does the boss creature have to be an ogre? Could it be a praying mantis?

Think on twisting the characters around for the narrrative exercise.

For the showreel we may have to revert to using standard chracter rigs, which would mean using the hero, princess and big boss creature characters.